[pianotech] The demise of pianotech list

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Mar 20 13:07:29 MDT 2013

On 3/20/2013 1:29 PM, Susan Kline wrote:
> Joe, I agree. I felt that the choice of date was insulting
> rather than humorous, especially added to the lack of notice
> and the continuing lack of explanation of their rationale for
> closing the mailman list at all.

And it was intentionally as insulting as they could make it, to show
"who's in charge".

> One can say, "no harm done, Googletech will just take over
> for the mailman users", but I think that misses the point. What
> had been, just two years ago, a relatively unified and simple
> setup -- CAUT, pianotech, and PTG-L -- is now fragmented beyond
> retrieval.

This was also one of my initial objections, along with the sadly obvious
dysfunctions. Lots of little fiefdoms, each with a resident sage holding
forth to his personal minion. Come the revolution, we'll all be generals.

> It seems to me this came about because the people making the
> decisions did not understand the concept of critical mass --
> there have to be a certain number of people having a discussion
> for it to work right -- and also were not dedicated to transparency
> in how these decisions were made and announced.

They proved, literally years ago, that they don't care how, or even if
the lists work. They got the member max they wanted.

> As a nod to the new order, I'm cross-posting this to PTG-L.

Empty gesture, like my response. If they were reachable, it wouldn't
have happened in the first place.
Ron N