Steinway underlevers

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu Jan 7 11:05 MST 1999

I removed, repaired, replaced the tray and timed the dampers of a
Steinway D in about 75 minutes.  It HAD to be done quickly so I did it.

Also since it was my screw up originally I had no other choice.  (Yeah,
I have don that occasionally.)

This is not a mystery job, just tedious, and only requires some common
sense.  (In short supply here.)

The only problem with reinstalling the tray under discussion is the
insertsless top flanges.  They split too often because of age, the lever
flanges come off, the pinning is old, the wood is old and the design is
old.

If durability and service is a requirement of this piano then
replacement is the only viable option.

                    Newton