"chain" bench to school piano

Greg Granoff gjg2@axe.humboldt.edu
Thu Jan 7 16:17 MST 1999

I don't seem to have the original message in my folder, but this whole thing
rings a very loud bell.  We lost so many practice room benches (for
verticals) that the instrument technician and I did exactly what Newton is
describing -- we built simple benches out of good quality cabinet grade 3/4
ply. Nothing but a top, two sides and a generous stringer between the two
sides, all held together with yellow carpenter's glue and wood screws. A
couple coats of clear water based finish and we were done.  Incredibly
sturdy and extremely cheap, we put a hole in the bottom front corner of each
bench, and with a length of metal cable and a couple crimp type clamps, we
attached them to the legs of their respective pianos.  With enough cable
length to move the bench to another part of the practice cubicle if desired,
or put the bench upside down on top of the piano for floor cleaning, etc,
they've been a huge success and after 3 years not a single one is missing.
By the way, in each case, we attached the cable to the leg on the far side
of the cubicle, away from the door, to avoid tangling ones feet on the way
in. About the only maintenance required is occasionally turning the bench
around a couple times to untwist the occasional looping of the cable.
Music stands are another story -- haven't solved that one yet.

Greg Granoff
(still enslaved)
Humboldt State University