">

jumpy tuning pins

Vince Mrykalo vince@byu.edu
Tue Jan 19 07:22 MST 1999

We have here at BYU a 1976 Baldwin SD10 that has jumpy tight pins so badly
as to render it nearly untunable (at least within a reasonable length of
time).  We have tried  to loosen them up before (heat) with no success, so
before I go to the trouble of replacing the block, I thought of this one
last ditch effort.  We applied the Protek on the 11th of Jan., and I
figured by Friday the Protek would not creep or otherwise wander but be
"set up" by then, so obviously this hasn't withstood any length of time
test.  We found that within the hour the pins were much less jumpy in
general, and by the end of that week the pins felt about the same as they
did on Monday.  Today I tested some of the ones that were most jumpy
originally, and some were still a little too jumpy, but with a "steady pull
hammer technique" I could get smooth action from the pin, whereas before, I
couldn't.  However, I put 4 more drops on those that were still jumpy
anyway, to see what'll happen.
Vince
vince@byu.edu