benches

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu Jan 20 07:49 MST 2000

> we have a number of older (popular make) concert benches with the threaded-shaft, scissor-type mechanism.  Can these be repaired reasonably?

This depends.  I had a couple of old Steinway supplied benches with
brass rails and brass casted pivot arms.  I discovered that the pins
were the same size as the pins of Jansen's benches so I had the rails
milled wide enough to accommodate Jensen's Oilite bushings.  Worked
quite well.

Jensen benches can be rebushed to remove movement.

Some of the less expensive adjustable benches may not be worth the
cost and time but if you know a machinist of have one on campus as I
did then you may consult with the shop person head in charge.

		Newton