B.Y.O.B. party

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Tue Aug 28 14:20 MDT 2001

> I'm going in there with some serious power tools and try
> and fix the problem.

I might suggest an impact hammer, one that the weight is sujpported by your hand
in order to not put any pressure on the pin except to tune it.

1098s tend upward because you are likely trying to tune it with your hammer at
2:00 to 3:00 and in doing so you plex the pin downward which it wants to return
from there fore pulling the pitch up to do so. Simple mechanics called flag
poling.

I have never met a 1098 I liked but I am able to master them, somewhat, but it
is strain on me, the piano and my relationship with the customer.  [sigh]

If only I were a left handed tuner, then it would  be so easy.

Tuning pins aside there are so many other tonal problem with the pianos that
make it difficult as well.  They are such junk I hate to see people buying
them.  (deeper sigh)

Bombs a weigh!

		Newton