Guidelines addendum

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Fri Mar 16 07:58 MST 2001

Dave Wrote:

> Since probably only have of practicing technicians in this country are
> members of PTG, I think we can assume the same in CAUT jobs.  I don't think
> the techs at Eastman are members, are the techs at Julliard?  How about
> Curtis?

Hi David,
     You've raised some real concerns.   Would all local chapters be willing
to provide us with names of  non guild persons serving local institutions so
we can contact them? -- or perhaps that's too  "KGB".  Some might feel
threatened by being asked such intrusive details about how they conduct their
jobs and the condition of their inventories.  On the other hand, if convinced
it is in their interests, perhaps they will cooperate.
     I'd be surprised if nationwide only half of technicians servicing
universities are guild members.  I only know of  one locally, and he attends
conventions and was a long time RTT and RTT examiner.  The rest seem to be
either serious new professionals destined for membership, or transient
dabblers with questionable reputations.  The latter are not likely hired and
retained by universities.
-Mike Jorgensen