Breaking strings

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 2 08:37 MDT 2001

Thanks guys,
Why are the strings bad?  _Could it just be hammer wear?_  What is happening
and why did Ed's restringing last 7 years? Is it the wire they use,
(Roslau?), if not the capo wear/hammer wear.  Thanks again,
Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
985.72P.IANO

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
A440A@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2001 9:13 AM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Breaking strings

Lance writes:
<<
I have a customer with a Steinway B (University) that has begun breaking
strings.  The piano is less than 10 yrs old.  Other than
wearing/flat/widened striking surface on hammers, are there any other things
I should investigate while at the piano next week? >>

  Greetings,
    I had to restring the top half of a pair of Steinway B's at Vanderbilt
because of breakage problems. The capo bars were OK, the hammers were not
too
flat.
   I ascribed it to heavy play.
   I didn't repin, I just backed all pins out 1/2 turn, removed the coils,
and wound new coils on a dummy pin.  After having everybody back up to near
pitch, I then tapped the pins down to their minimum plate/coil clearance.
It
has been over 7 years now and so far, so good.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT