jack hitting h.flange

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon Aug 19 12:09 MDT 2002

Rather than put punchings on each front pin, I use a little wooden
aftertouch gauge. You can make one from a piece of wood like the ones
Renner uses to ship shanks. Cut a slit in the end to fit a pin with a
bit of slop. Reduce the thickness to 0.050" on a disc sander or the
like. Cut a bit from each side, back about an inch to clear natural
front pins when measuring sharps.
	With the gauge, you just slip it under each key in turn, on top of the
felt punching. Saves quite a bit of time and hassle over adding and
removing individual card punchings. Or, anyway, I think so.
	I like to see the hammer stop rising when I hear a click (key against
gauge), then see the hammer start to let off as I press a bit into the
felt punching.
Regards,
Fred Sturm