Damaged Piano

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu Aug 22 10:09 MDT 2002

In a message dated Thu, 22 Aug 2002 10:21:48 AM Eastern Standard Time, jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu writes:

> I'm finding out about insurance coverage for
> something like this.
>
> This is my first such experience.  I would appreciate some advice from
> those of you who have experienced this, particularly in the CAUT situation.
> Get outside quotes?  Call Baldwin for assessment?  Can I simply dry out the
> action with my hair dryer?  Please advise me on anything to be aware of,
> mechanically and from the "compensation" end.  Private emails are fine if
> that is your preference.
>
> Piano was purchased along with 44 more Baldwins seven years ago at a
> ridiculous discount, therefore, if insurance coverage is
> limited to
> purchase price we may have a problem.

Jeff

The insurance here in Alabama is a $5000 deductible. It might be similar in other states. It would appear that your piano might need to be completely rebuilt. If you're going to do the work, since you're on the payroll, the expense of this would be the parts. If you are not able to do the work, you'll probably need to get several estimates. The school will have to come up with the deductible amount to get the work done.

In my situation, we convinced the insurance adjuster that the piano was "totaled" for concert work, but that we wanted to keep the piano as a secondary instrument. We made a deal, where we got enough funds to buy a new one, and still keep the old one, whcih i then fixed. I'm not sure if you can do the same thing.

I think you need to be sure to cover all bases on this. I would suggest you don't try to do it on the cheap. This is a performance instrument that is supposed to last another 25 - 30 years. If "fixing" it is going to create problems down the road, it just will mean more work for you down the road. See if you can get the funds to do it right then first time. Later on, you'll never get the money to do it over again.

Just my view
Wim