Now What?

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Fri Aug 23 08:14 MDT 2002

List,

As if trying to learn the touchweight thing right now isn't enough,
I've just discovered that the new S & S flanges in the Renner parts
kit are one mm thinner (6mm) than the old flanges (7mm) and won't
tighten down normally. I'm afraid to put too much pressure on them
for fear of splitting something. The screws are 17mm long from under
the head and the holes are app. 10mm deep from the top of the felt.

The rail already has that thicker type of old brown felt on it and
the red cloth I was intending to use would be thinner!

I've never had this problem before and didn't realize there were
different thicknesses in the Steinway flanges! Boy, I'd hate to
reuse those ugly, dark brown old flanges on the new shanks! And here
I was getting ready to actually do some measuring! :-)

However, I just thought of adding a washer and that makes it tighten
down fine. The flange doesn't have a cut-out for a washer, so would
there be any problem with that?

What now?

Avery