Fortepiano pitch levels

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Wed Aug 28 10:52 MDT 2002

Hello-

I would be interested to know how others deal with requests for various pitch
levels on forte pianos. Our school just acquired and new, large Reiger piano
and I meet with the piano department tomorrow to try and articulate a
"policy".   I see no way around getting caught in the middle between those who
want it for chamber music with modern instruments and the pianists (and
vocalists) who seem to like the lower pitch.  I had hoped to keep it around
A430.  Obviously I am most concerned about avoiding pulling it up and down and
I find it hard to believe that any serious forte piano player would be
satisfied at 440.  I even think it is even better for the instrument at the
lower pitch, but maybe that is just my imagination.  Any advise or experience
with this is welcome. Public or private.

thanks,

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College