Floating pitch

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed Aug 28 14:49 MDT 2002

In a message dated 8/28/02 2:17:31 PM Central Daylight Time,
kswafford@earthlink.net writes:

> Here David has finally tried a technique that results in measurably better,
> more stable tunings, and you, just in your 2nd year as a CAUT, try to
> introduce doubts. Shame on you, Wim. Pitch floating makes sense; hold out as
> long as you like, but you're going to like it when you finally try it!  :)
>
> Congratulations, David. Hang in there.
>
> Kent Swafford

Kent

It's not in my 1 + years as a CAUT that I have had this philosophy. I have
always maintained that pianos should be tuned to the correct pitch. In my
opinion, that is what we are paid to do. I know it's more work, but I'm sorry
you guys, I just can't justify not doing it.

Isn't that what we spent a lot of time discussing last spring, how much our
workload is effected by humidity controls, (or rather the lack of it). If we
maintain that poor humidity and temperature control is effecting how much
work we do, and then come along and let the pitch float so as not to create
more work for us, that, to me, is talking out of two sides of our mouth. Yes,
if we float the pitch a piano will stay in tune for a longer period of time,
which makes our job easier. But, pianos need to be tuned at A440, not for our
sake, but for the student's and faculty's sake. So if it takes more work, and
more time, then that is what we have to do.

Now, I realize that for those of you who get paid a set fee by the piano, you
want to get through as quickly as possible. Otherwise, as David pointed out,
he winds up doing more work for less pay. I don't know the answer for that,
other than negotiate a higher fee, which might not be possible. But under
other circumstances, the pitch is what is important, even if we have to tune
the piano more often.

As usual, I am probably all alone with this thinking. But that's my story,
and I'm sticking to it.  :)

Wim