Floating pitch

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Thu Aug 29 15:27 MDT 2002

Jeff,
         I see your point. I come back to the point of  how the piano is
being used. I would never want to float a concert instrument. If, as you
say, all your pianos have Dampp Chasers on them and you are still fighting
them, could this be enough cause to look into whether or not the Dampp
Chasers are underpowered? Could you, perhaps, add another rod to make them
a little more effective? Just a thought.

Greg Newell

At 11:57 AM 8/29/2002, you wrote:
>What I've found is that by allowing pitch to float, the pianos stay nearer
>A440 than when I used to set every A4 at 440 every time.  Strangely, by
>allowing the pitch to float, the amount of float I've had to allow has
>shrunken.  So, when I was fighting for 440, I was working against it at the
>same time!  I'm still raising and lowering pitch, just not as much nor as
>often.
>
>Even the DC systems here aren't effective enough to maintain 440 all the
>time -- better than before DC, but I still find myself having to allow as
>much as 6¢ sharp in August for some of those, pushing down a large portion
>of the scale to get there.
>
>David I. wrote:
> >do any of you CAUT techs find you can get more accomplished by
> >quicker/speed tunings more often or careful tunings less often?
>
>I've quit spending an hour and fifteen minutes to an hour and a half
>working for perfect aural tunings because thanks to the humidity cycling,
>all that work is out the window in a few days, sometimes even hours, along
>with my self-esteem.
>
>I started cutting my tuning time and not worrying about perfect tunings and
>I can keep more pianos in better tune longer.  I bought an SAT III, and
>I've been getting good stable tunings in 35 to 45 minutes.  The SAT makes
>it easier (faster) to determine how much to float, too.
>
>I had the same drive as Wim when I started here.  But I got really really
>tired of continuously putting my soul into something I couldn't accomplish
>and the faculty and students really didn't care about.  What they want is
>pianos that sound in tune, close enough to pitch they can play with, and I
>can accomplish that more effectively by not fighting for 440.  I've had
>more compliments on the pianos since I started allowing pitch to float and
>NO ONE has complained about the pitch of A4.
>
>We could start a whole new discussion on the other 87 notes.
>
>Jeff
>
>Jeff Tanner
>Piano Technician
>School of Music