Pulling key pins, was key bushings

David Denison a440@optonline.net
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 11:52:37 -0500

I seem to remember one of the tech tips that Yamaha ran in one of it's ads
on the back cover of the PTG Journal.  They suggested using a modified pop
rivet tool to remove balance rail pins.  The modification was to drill out
the hole for the rivet nail to the size of a balance rail pin, then just
squeeze away.  I never tried it, but it seems like a cheaper alternative,
though surely less elegant, than the $239 Pianotek tool.  I don't know if
you could also modify it in some way to do front rail pins as well.

David Denison, RPT
Long Island, NY
Nassau Chapter-Piano Technicians Guild
Sub-contracted piano technician at Hofstra U

"Keep It Simple"