S & S 'D' Problems

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Mon Feb 4 09:55 MST 2002

Hi Wim,

Comments below.

>In a message dated 2/3/02 12:46:19 PM Central Standard Time,
>atodd@UH.EDU writes:
>
>>I've talked to the shop tech and he told me that he'd had to raise the
>>stack some because the hammers weren't hitting correctly. My first
>>question is what effect would that have to how the action would then
>>have to be regulated?
>>

>Avery
>
>I don't understand why raising the stack would be necessary. I think
>that perhaps you and the store tech need to get together, and figure
>out what happened. You said he did you a favor by doing this
>work.But from the extra work you are now doing to correct the
>problem, it looks like he has created more work for you. Is your
>relations such that you can confront him his with this? Just as you
>are asking for our advice, can you talk to this guy and get his
>frank opinions, and try to solve this dilemma?
>
>Wim

Raising was necessary because the hammers weren't hitting at a 90-degree
angle to the strings. They were overcentering and hadn't even been filed
more than once, if that.

I've know him for a long time and we have a good relationship. I talked to
him this morning and found out exactly what he'd done and his reasons. Yes,
in some ways, it's causing more work. But he saved me a heck of a lot more
work by doing all the damper regulation stuff, too. Plus filing the hammers.
So I tend to think that I'll come out ahead in the long run. :-)

Avery