S & S 'D' Problems

Brent.Fischer@ASU.Edu Brent.Fischer@ASU.Edu
Mon Feb 4 12:55 MST 2002

greetings Avery,

  This info won't solve the problem you are encountering but it sounds
similiar to what we have dealt with here.

   At note 62 the string height should be 1 5/8 inches, on a D, give or take.
The problems in recent years, and I have alot of them right here, have
been directly related to string height being as much as a 1/4 inch or more
than this spec, so Steinway will say that the specs are generally followed
but they are just guidelines. So what is the range that keeps the spec
in line? In my opinion, it should be never greater than 1/16 inch higher,
and slightly lower if anything since under-centering hammers would
be preferred with hammer wear taken into consideration. For some reason,
I can't figure it, but I think it must have something to do with inner
rim height, there is a point they simply cannot lower the plate any further
since there must be a minimum height for the plate dowels. The cavity
clearance has restrictions on stack height so that compromise has limits.
It really amazes me that the factory hasn't addressed this issue or been
willing to give technical support that makes sense, like make a run of
hammers available with extra long tail bore.

Our best solution thus far has been to use Ronsen hammers and bore them
ourselves to make up the difference.

Brent Fischer
Senior Piano Technician
Arizona State University