S & S 'D' Problems

David Skolnik skolnik@attglobal.net
Mon Feb 4 13:01 MST 2002

At 10:51 AM 02/04/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi Wim,

Avery -

>>I don't understand why raising the stack would be necessary.
>>
>>Wim
>
>Raising was necessary because the hammers weren't hitting at a 90-degree
>angle to the strings. They were overcentering and hadn't even been filed
>more than once, if that.
>
>Avery

OK Avery - Let's start there.  Would you still think it appropriate for the
technician to have made such changes if the measurements that have been
mentioned (hammer flange centerpin height and wipin flange centerpin
height) had been correct, not to mention the line of centers from balance
hole to wip flange center, bisecting capstan/wip heel conversion?  In other
words, what if the problem was in the hammer bore length or the angle at
which they were glued?  (Could you measure those, and, in addition, ask the
tech by what amount they were overcentering?)  If so, it seems misguided to
me to creatively solve the problem where it isn't.   And, oh yes, the above
measurements would be quite useless unless you could also provide the
string heights from the keybed.

>the hammer blow is at least 2", the drop is way too much

Uh-oh!  In order to reduce the drop you'll have to turn the screws up  (not
a job I envy on  the current Steinway parts).  Having already raised the
height of the hammer flange by approximately .100" (by my rough
calculations) do you have room ,either in the drop screw travel, or under
the pin block to do this?  Also was there enough room under the bottom of
the fallboard?

It's probably their own fault, but, originally, all these measurements and
tolerances really were important!!  A laxness in observing these in
manufacturing has , over time, deluded us into thinking that this is all
supposed to be intuitive or self evident.

Anyway, looking forward to your further information.  I'm X'ing the days on
my calendar!.

David Skolnik