Another 'D'

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Tue Feb 5 12:11 MST 2002

Wim,

>In a message dated 2/5/02 8:47:19 AM Central Standard Time,
>atodd@UH.EDU writes:
>
>>Besides the felt punching already there on each end, I noticed
>>that on the bass end, there were a couple of center rail thick
>>cardboard punchings. So I though, why not? I put a thick(ish) one
>>in on the treble end reinstalled everything and the noise was gone.
>>I don't know how long it'll last. I may have to do something with
>>the block later but for the moment, everything is quiet. :-)
>>

>Although you might have solved the problem for the time being, I not
>sure if the oval hole was created by the side to side movement of
>the damper tray.

No, I didn't mean that. I just meant that a little side pressure stopped
the noise. Adding that cardboard punching did essentially the same thing.

>I would think that the tray moving up and down might have created
>the oval hole. Be sure the try is not only tight side to side, but
>that the block is tight from top to bottom. If there is a gap
>between the block and to belly rail or the block and the keybed, you
>might want to put a front rail punching under or on top of the block
>to get it snug.

The top and bottom of the block is snug. I checked that, so it must
have been the movement of the guide pin within the block itself.

>This problem might have happen if the damper tray was ever taken out
>before. The person who removed it might not have put the pouching
>back that came out.

The tray has never been out since Rappaport's rebuilt it. At least since
it's been here.

>Just a thought.

Thanks.

>Wim