Grand half stick

Doug Atkins ATKINSD@cedarville.edu
Mon Feb 18 08:38 MST 2002

Perhaps a broom handle cut to your desired length, painted flat black
and padded on either end. How about a "bottom lid"? Or maybe leave the
piano alone and position some mirrors so those with a blocked veiw
could see the conductors refection!

Doug Atkins
Registered Piano Technician
Cedarville University
937.766.7566
atkinsd@cedarville.edu

>>> Jeff Tanner <jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu> 02/18/02 10:21AM >>>
List,
Have any of you ever experimented with or devised a "half" stick for
concert grand?  One of our pianists here plays with our wind
ensemble,
amidst complaints of the other players not being able to see the
conductor
above the lid on the long stick, but the piano can't be heard when
the lid
is on the short stick.  They've also tried lid removed, but that
also
yields unacceptable results.

It would need to be some sort of device which would only be used in
certain
situations, so it couldn't be a permanently installed prop.  Long
story
short, neither does the piano they perform on belong to the school
of
music, so it would have to be easily installed/removed without
risking
damage to the instrument.

Any ideas?
Thanks,