Pinblocks

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Tue Mar 5 16:52 MST 2002

Ray,

There are (I believe) 4 methods of boring pinblocks, as described by Jack
Krefting in the PTG reprint kit titled "Pinblocks."
This is great reading!

If you wish, I can forward you a report on 3 of the 4 methods I've used (in
the piano, in the plate and on the bench) and you can draw your own
conclusions. (Darned if I can't remember what the 4th one is!?)

Just e-mail me direct: mailto:Cramer@BrandonU.CA

Mark
    -----Original Message-----
    From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Breakall, Raymond
    Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 3:12 PM
    To: 'caut@ptg.org'
    Subject: RE: Pinblocks

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Wimblees@aol.com [mailto:Wimblees@aol.com]
        Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 2:57 PM
        To: caut@ptg.org

        In a message dated 3/4/02 12:12:44 PM Central Standard Time,
rbreakal@richmond.edu writes:

            Dear list,

            Anyone have a good way to drill pinblocks while in the piano? I
have a
            couple of Steinways where the pinblock is in good shape but
needs oversize
            pins. I have heard about table drill configurations where the
drill can be
            mounted over the pinblock area on a sliding rail. Any ideas?

            Ray Breakall
            Piano Technician
            University of Richmond

        Ray

        I don't know if actually "drilling" the pin block is what you want
to do. You are probably going to use 3/0 or even 4/0 pins. There is no need
make the holes any larger than they are. What you might want to do, however,
is clean the holes. I would suggest you get a .22 caliber rifle bore
cleaner. Just chuck it in a hand held drill and clean out the holes, at a
slow speed.

        Wim Blees
        U of Alabama
        [Breakall, Raymond]

        Wim,

        Thanks for the reply. You are right about oversize pins. I was
really thinking about drilling a new pinblock.  Any ideas.

        Ray