Pinblocks

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Wed Mar 6 13:02 MST 2002

David-
    The tuning pins are .287" +or-.001" (they vary around the diameter of
the pin).  I mic'ed a few handfulls and decided not to worry about them.
The reamer is .2785"   I bought it from Schaff 7 or 8 years ago.  It's
marked 4.  Schaff and Apsco catalogs give differing sizes for these reamers,
but neither matches this one.  Paul Larudee suggests reaming closer to the
pin diameter than I did.
    On the Stein I'm getting down torques of 100-125 inch pounds, up torques
about 25 inch pounds higher.  This is on the very first tuning, I expect a
little less after 4 or 5 tunings.  Might have a chance to measure the
Steinway in a week or so, but the feeling is similar.
    These were two nice pinblocks from a good vintage, and were still
functioning well with their original pins.  I would not assume this
experience applies to multi-laminate pinblocks.
Ed