workload formula revisions

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed Mar 13 16:04 MST 2002

Wim,
	With respect to uprights vs grands, I'll have to disagree that an
upright could really take the same time as a grand, even if you fussed
to make it as perfect as possible. I've never brushed butt leather, but
brush/teflon/etc knuckles all the time. Regulating the repetition system
is pretty time consuming - rep top compared to jack, rep spring
strength, drop. Doesn't exist on an upright. Weighing keys, addressing
friction, evening weights of hammers, dealing with sostenutos, fine
adjustment of dampers systems, sticking needles into hammer felt - the
list goes on. If anything, I think the proportions I originally
suggested were not diverse enough, but figured that would be made up
somewhat under "Acceptable Standards."
	For everyone's information, feedback I've received to date is fairly
even between "It's about right for my situation" and "It's not rigorous
enough (ie, too many pianos per tech)." So I'm thinking in general I
want to make the formula come up with slightly lower numbers.
	I'll be back with more later, but will be out of the loop for a while.
THe NASM folks come next week, and we have four candidates for Fine Arts
dean the next two weeks, and we have our annual big bash Composers
Symposium in a week and a half. So I'll be pretty swamped.
	But "Keep those cards and letters coming!"
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico