touchweight

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:23:00 -0400

Ray,
How are the knuckles?

I once prepared an S&S D for a touring artist, which belonged to the
dealership I was working with at the time.  I was called on at the last
minute to just go "tune" for the event, and had no previous dealings with
the instrument until the rehearsals began.  The instrument was relatively
new, though I never bothered to check exactly how old, but should have been
about the same vintage as the one you are working with.  The pianist
complained of unevenness from note to note.  I discovered that a number of
the knuckles were as flat as if they were 30 years old, and really made a
big difference.  There was no pattern, just one here and one there, with
the rest being in near perfect condition.

Also, make sure that some of the hammer tails aren't dragging on the
backchecks.  I've got a building full of Baldwins which have to have
backchecks reconfigured because I can't get checking within an inch without
dragging.  John Hartman's articles in the May and June 2001 PTJ were a real
eye opener for me as far as backcheck geometry goes.  Pianos don't come
from the factory set up like that.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Jeff