touch weight

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 02:47:34 +0200

 The instrument
> was relatively new, though I never bothered to check exactly how
old, but
> should have been
> about the same vintage as the one you are working with.  The pianist
> complained of unevenness from note to note.  I discovered
> that a number of the knuckles were as flat as if they were 30 years
old, and
> really made a big difference.  There was no pattern, just one here
and
> one there, with the rest being in near perfect condition.

May be quality problem in the leather, but most often poor alignment
of the roller/jack will give that result (flat knuckles) under heavy
professional use. When the jack's cushion begin to compress with time
the jack go back from its good position.

It is always rewarding for the long term to do a fast check and align
these jacks - you may learn to regulate again the drop as fast as in a
pinch too, not a so easy task so work on it.

On most of the new pianos I see the jack is too far, sometime because
the tech find it easier to regulate the drop/letoff as that, sometime
because the cushion had compress, in this late case the letoff is
mushy, having the jack back in place almost self regulate the drop
then.

Regards.

Isaac OLEG

Compulsive writer