Re-pinning question

Mary Smith MarySmith@mail.utexas.edu
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:06:47 -0600

>..question regarding re-pinning a block..
>
>I've always been under the understanding that if you are going to just
>re-pin and re-string, you go up 2 sizes on the pins, correct?
>
>Not always?

Definitely not always. We often restring with just one size larger
pins here at UT. It very much depends on the condition of the block,
so you do have to decide on a case by case basis. The only thing that
bothers me about restringing with the original block is there is
inevitably some variation in pin torque. It seems unavoidable, and I
have tried reamers and etc. One thing we do with moderate success is
to brush the glazing off the inside of the pin holes with gun brushes
of the appropriate size (no jokes about how widely available those
are in Texas, please!). Even with that, there will be variation in
torque. But, it is better than not restringing because we don't
replace blocks in-house.

Mary