Re-pinning question

James Ellis claviers@onemain.com
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:22:12 -0500

Ladies & Gentlemen:

Mary is right.  I know folks who use gun brushes for cleaning out the old
holes.  But as Mary says, there is a problem with variation in pin torque.
I'm convinced this comes from three sources.  1) The original pins were not
uniform in size in the first place, and they left holes of somewhat varying
size.  2) The new tuning pins also vary somewhat in sise, which compounds
the error.  3) The gun-brush technique does not correct holes that are out
of round and tapered at the top, and it does not deal with that shoulder at
the bottom of the hole.  The new tuning pins end up being tightest at the
very bottom, and some may hit that shoulder left by the old pin.

Roger Jolly mentions using drill bits to ream.  I have done this, and it
works.  The only problem I have with it is in finding a bit of exactly the
right size that will just clean up the hole, and no more, that won't take
off any more wood than absolutely necessary.  But it's a lot better than
some of those spoon bits with turned-down edges that can't possibly work.

If there is much interest here, I just might try designing that reamer I
have in mind.  If I did decide to do this, it would come in size increments
of 0.001 inch.  I'm not sure the demand for it would merit the cost of
designing and making it.

Any opinions on this?

Jim Ellis