Records in piano

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 22:32:52 EST

In a message dated 3/13/03 10:09:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
gnewell@ameritech.net writes:

> David and list,
>      I've been pondering this for some time. Why do we, as technicians,
> feel compelled to place a card, service history chart or other such records
>
> or advertisements under the lid of uprights? Do we really believe that
> anyone ever sees them there? Don't we truly know that once we leave all the
>
> old pictures of the kids or the grandparents along with the decrepit fire
> hazard lamp and the leaking potted plant go directly back on top? Why do so
>
> many expend the energy, expense and time to be sure to leave "our mark"
> that no one sees except perhaps the next tuner after you? Is there anyone
> out there doing something different that they consider to be a better way?
>
> Greg
>
> P.S. no offense intended to anyone, but there simply must be a better way!

Hi, Greg -

I leave a service record card with the piano, grand or upright.  For me - and
for whoever succeeds me - this serves as a 'patient's chart'.  Now that I'm
more than a half century old, I don't always remember what I encountered last
time, perhaps 500 tunings ago!

I don't see the Service Record Card as advertising primarily, although it is
imprinted with our name and phone number.  It is used by grand owners to look
up our phone number if my fridge magnet business card isn't closer at hand.
That's a nice bonus.  With uprights, I leave the card inside, where 90% of
the time it won't see the light of day until I service the piano again.  It
still serves my purpose, and a few of my clients - the ones without the photo
gallery, botanical garden or aquarium on top - sometimes refer to that card
as well.

             -     Tom McNeil     -
Vermont Piano Restorations

"To the intelligent man or woman, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the
stupid have an answer for every question."   -   Edward Abbey