re-repining

Fred S. Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 07:32:59 -0700

    I have never had a becket slip from a restring with dummy pins. I
believe the creation of a sharp bend from the tuning pin is what
determines whether or not a becket slip will occur. So if you are always
conscious of making that first bend rapidly and firmly, a becket will
never slip.
    I sometimes have a becket slip when "backing around" a broken string
- when a string breaks at the pin, taking slack from the neighboring pin
to put on the pin where the wire broke. This occurs when I don't "jerk"
the pin I am starting a coil on fast enough to create that sharp bend.
When I do get a sharp bend, a single coil around the tuning pin almost
always holds just fine. Sometimes even a half coil will hold. (Some
pianos aren't worth the time to go out to the car and get new wire, etc).

    BTW, I think the sharp bend is much more important than making sure
the becket is pushed absolutely snug to the pin. I've seen a lot of coils
where the becket is sticking out 1 to 2mm, and where no problem has
arisen over many years. Bends in piano wire are amazingly strong. I use a
piece of bass string with a hook bent in the end as a string hook, and it
holds up to a strong a pull as I can possibly give it.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico