1974 M & H B

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 21:36:20 -0500

Yes, but by then they were calling it B....to save on ink, I guess, or =
maybe half the stamp broke off and they couldn't afford a new one, and =
it was too much labor cost to stamp it twice.  It's the 7 footer.
Ed
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan McCoy=20
  To: College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 8:26 PM
  Subject: RE: 1974 M & H B

  Do you mean, the 7 foot model BB?
  Alan

  Alan McCoy, RPT
  Eastern Washington University
  509-359-7017
  amccoy@mail.ewu.edu

    -----Original Message-----
    From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of =
Ed Sutton
    Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 5:10 PM
    To: College and University Technicians
    Subject: 1974 M & H B

    Dear List-
        Has anyone on the list had experience rebuilding big M & H's of =
1970's vintage.
        A piano teacher has a 1974 B in need of serious rebuilding or =
replacement. =20
        The action will need redesigning (there is nothing left of the =
old M & H action design) , it needs a new pinblock and probably wapin =
bridge pinning. =20
        The front bearing is ridiculously steep.  Hell to tune and ugly, =
too. I'm wondering if I can grind away some of the plate or bearing bars =
to reduce it.
        The agraffes stop at G#3.  I don't think this was the original B =
plate design, was it?
        Despite what amounts to a rape of a once wonderful design, there =
is still something magic in the sound of this instrument.
        If I do every good thing we can do for a piano, will it be a =
stable, dependable instrument, or will the problems start just to the =
other side of where I stop?
        I'd appreciate any words of wisdom and experience.
            Ed Sutton