1974 M & H B

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 23:06:02 -0600

> > Then why in the world would it need Wapin bridge pinning?
>
>Based on 5 pianos I've done and 2 others I've  played, I expect Wapin will
>reduce the impact noise and increase the sustain in the top end of the
>piano.  It is o.k. now, will be excellent with Wapin.

Reduce impact noise? I hadn't heard that one. Please explain.

>I'm not going to replace the soundboard or case, and wonder if anyone has
>experienced problems with these
>in a BB of this (Aeolian) vintage.

Yes. I have a BB of similar vintage in one of my colleges that needs
rebuilt - with a new soundboard (like most of the pianos in all the
colleges I service). As lousy as it sounds, it is the favorite piano in the
facility simply because it still sounds better than the rest of them. I
suspect the mass and stiffness of the rim, as well as the mass of the ribs
and bridge in the treble are primarily responsible for this, but the crown
is still concave and the killer octave still falls apart at higher attack
levels. Properly rebuilt, with some re-design and a more efficient
soundboard, it has terrific potential. It will never happen though, because
they wouldn't consider rebuilding everyone's favorite piano of the lot.

BTW, how does one replace the case, even though you chose not to?

>And I can't do anything about the
>extended capo/reduced agraffe design.
>
>Ed

Should one want to? What is the detriment inherent in using a capo instead
of agraffes? Why is this a bad thing?

Ron N