damper lever ht.

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:36:25 EDT

In a message dated 9/11/03 11:26:18 AM Central Daylight Time,
marysmith@mail.utexas.edu writes:

> SO even
> if you lower the tray,the flanges might still need to be at 1-1/2" to get
> proper lift. But, as Fred and Eric have correctly pointed out, you really
> need to break down and replace the back action, and convert that rascal
> pitman. If you're not ready to replace the back action, for budget or time
> reasons, then replace the key end felt again, see if you can wiggle the
> underlever height a bit, and convert the pitman anyway.

Let me see if I can understand this.  I realize the angle of the lever, as
Fred sais, is "the angle of the levers as the manner in which the two arcs
intercept - arcs of underlever versus arc of key". That is why the lever is digging
into the lifter felt. That is why I want to lower the tray, to reduce that
angle, and at the same time lower the height of the lever to 1 1/2".

But isn't the pitman the block of wood into which the tray is attached by the
pin? So if I lower the pivot point, I will lower the tray. The question I
have is, how much should I lower the pivot point to lower the height of the lever
an 1/8"? And I should, I presume, cut off the block and redrill the screw
holes, right?

Wim