piano look-see

Paul Kupelian ryv@twcny.rr.com
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 20:08:16 -0400

Wim,

That=92s more like it.  Before I get flamed, I should mention that =
Michelle
and I are good friends and in the same chapter.  We are always tossing
brickbats at one another

Paul

=20

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Wimblees@aol.com
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 6:15 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Re: piano look-see

=20

In a message dated 9/12/03 3:07:27 PM Central Daylight Time,
ryv@twcny.rr.com writes:

Ok boils and goils..

Anywone know of a spiffy checklist for piano accessment?

You know...

A certain  order to check everything?

I usually end up writing a ton of stuff in a hap-hazard way and it's =
looks=20
silly and even gets ME confused after I've had a gander.

Anyone?

:) Michelle

Wim,Piano assessment, not regulation.  She wants to know how to assess a
piano, which with your business acumen you should know.  Even though she
wrote the word =93accessment=94 which we all know is easy. All you have =
to do is
open the fallboard and the lid and your there.Paul

OK, Here is how I appraise a piano. (is that the same as assessing?)

C. Step By step procedure using appraisal sheet=20
1. Find serial number and give age of the piano
2. Inspect each area carefully=20
a. Remove action on a grand piano=20
1. Check hammer, shank and knuckle wear,=20
2. Condition of wippens and back checks=20
3. underleaver assembly=20
             4. Look at soundboard and bridges=20
5. Check the pedals=20
6. Play it for tuning and tone.=20