Tuning Steinway Verticals

Don McKechnie dmckech@ithaca.edu
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:36:54 -0700

Michelle and I have talked about these "Satanic" beasts in the past. As
I see it, they get their beastly reputation from the tuning difficulty
in the treble section. Several years ago I was informed by a reputable
tech that grinding down the plate mound below the tuning pins will
reduce friction and consequently it will be less difficult to tune.
Seems too easy and there is probably more to it. Unfortunately I have
not had the time to pull a 1098 into the shop and give it a try.
Hopefully I will some time before I retire. I understand that the the
newer 1098's do not have the plate mound. Anyone out there who has seen
and tuned one of the newer models? Just wondering if they are easier to
tune.

Now, the last four strings in the bass of a 1098; there is a project for
a rescaler. But, that's another topic. :-)

Don McKechnie