performance piano - student psychopathology 101

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:37:44 EDT

Kent writes:

<< I'd go farther. Glovers needles don't exacerbate the problem; they
_cause_ the problem in the first place.

Trash the glover's needles, stick with some good "sharps", and I bet
hammers won't split. >>

Greetings,
   I have seen hammers split before, and it didn't seem to be because of any
particular type of needle, but rather, how they were applied.
   When a voicer continues softening a really hard hammer by needling on
either side of the crown,  they can cut enough fiber to allow the compression
under the strike point to pull the hammer apart.  I did this once, myself.  If the
hammer is that compressed, it is necesary to release some of the compression
under the strike point as well as softening shoulders.
    After the shoulders are somewhat relaxed, and no apparent change of tone
is forthcoming, it is time to drive a couple or three deep needles into the
crown,all  the way to the core.  Trying to get a mellow sound out of really hard
hammers without this will usually lead the acupuncturist to destroy the
continuity of the felt on the sides.  Once this is done,  the compression will
resolve itself in this localized area on either side of the strike point by
pulling the hammer apart.
   On the other hand, ignoring the shoulders and just needling the crown will
also destroy the hammer, in a hurry.  Getting a gradual change of density
means working almost all of the felt.
    Renner hammers don't seem to suffer quite so much from this, but I have
noticed Yamaha hammers, as well as some of the other Asian imports will.
   Don't be afraid to go for the heart, that is where the tone is most easily
manipulated.

Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/
 <A HREF="http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/399/six_degrees_of_tonality.html">