Questions about a new Steinway B or other 7'

Richard Adkins RADKINS@coe.edu
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:37:37 -0500

Hi,
 Your expert opinion is needed.

  I need your advice. I've been asked by a small local music
school that teaches elementary and jr. high students
if $55,000 is a fair price for a new Steinway B.

The piano will be used mostly for accompaniment, not for solos.

I don't know the current retail for one. I believe there
were price increases over the summer.

 It seems a bit high for a school price though.

 Can you tell me the list price /and fair school
discounted price for this piano.

Can you tell me the same prices for a Baldwin SF10, Baldwin L
and Yamaha C3?

 This will go into a small hall. Seating maybe 50-75 ppl. I thought
maybe a Steinway L or another brand 6' or so would be fine for that
size room. Would a Steinway B or other 7' be too large for that space?

There is money for the Steinway B. I think
it would be super if they're bent on getting a 7' to do so.
It will make the most people happy. (Politics), even if it
is not the wisest purchase regarding school endowment.

One of the board is saying the money should be put in the
endowment and they should just get a new Yamaha 6' ...or
Baldwin L....

Another board memeber who wants the B says Baldwin's have
had trouble. I cannot say for that.

They would only save $10,000 getting a Steinway L, so he
says that's not the issue as far as the endowment goes. It
will not save them enough.

 Would they save a significant amount  by buying a Yamaha 7' or the
Baldwin 7'/ or Baldwin L or Yamaha C3?

I know Mason-Hamilin 7', et al are about the same/or more than
the Steinway B, so we won't go there.

Some of the board seem to have their hearts set on Steinway B,
and who can blame them.

I would think in the long, long run the B would be a great choice.
Remember this is an elementary/jr. high level school....

What are your thoughts on this?
They would like me to get back to them on the above soon.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Richard Adkins
Coe College Music Department
Cedar Rapids, IA 52402