Questions about a new Steinway B or other 7'

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 15:21:51 EDT

In a message dated 9/22/03 1:41:03 PM Central Daylight Time, RADKINS@coe.edu
writes:

> I've been asked by a small local music
> school that teaches elementary and jr. high students
> if $55,000 is a fair price for a new Steinway B.

Richard

The MSRP of a S&S B, according to the Ancott book, is $60,000. Retailer don't
usually give more than a 10% discount, except where they think there would be
more business in the future. Last year, UA got a new B for $46,000, when the
MSRP was $55,000. But then, we're trying to become an all Steinway school, and
in the summer, we bought almost $200,000 more in pianos from the same dealer.
So to answer your question directly, yes, $55,000 is a fair price, especially
if this is going to be a one time deal.

As far as whether the B is the right piano for the space, in an elementary
school? Personally I think they could get by with an L, and they could save a
lot of money if they bought any other 6' piano. But if the administration has
their heart set on a B, why not?

Wim Blees
University of Alabama, which just got beat by NIU, my alma mater. GO HUSKIES.