Boston verts break-in? (xpost)

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:45:40 -0500

Ron,

presuming the Boston's have a Kawai hammer, a quick gang-filing/ironing of
the crowns will bring them up.

Don't suppose I would use juice on this style of hammer, ever.

In one situtation (it was a Kawai NS-20, but could've easily been a Yamaha
or similar) after several filings I resorted to hardener, and it did
"change" the tone, but not in a musical way.

This particular instrument just didn't have it. Perhaps similar to some
older uprights, if the resonance isn't there, it just isn't there.

Regarding your Bostons however, I'm sure they'll be great!

The hammers won't miss that outer layer of felt, and the immediate
improvement will likely make client and dealer much happier than the lengthy
presumption of "playing in." IMHO

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Ron
Koval
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 8:09 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org; caut@ptg.org
Subject: Boston verts break-in? (xpost)

Sorry for the multi-post for those of you on both lists....

A local school district has taken delivery of some Boston uprights.  The
choir director describes the tone as "woofy".  He's used to the sound of his
old Kawai full upright. (bright, but I've managed to keep it pretty even)  I
told him I'd check with you all on how they break in.  Do these brighten up
with a little playing, or do I pull out the juice?  I haven't seen them yet,
so I'm not sure what kindof prep they've had.....

Ron Koval
Chicagoland