health insurance (Fred)

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 17:54:28 EDT

In a message dated 8/5/04 4:27:42 PM Central Daylight Time, skline@peak.org
writes:

ON  AVERAGE, health insurance HAS to cost more than the medical services, to
pay for the infrastructure -- probably a LOT more! So if you pay a fortune
for medical insurance, you're betting that you're going to be so much more
unhealthy than an average person that it will make up for the large
insurance company costs you are paying.

Also, as time goes by I  find out more and more that stress all by itself is
unhealthy. Cortisol  sends all kinds of chemistry down the wrong pathways.
If the health system  is so annoying and expensive that you are getting
stressed out over it,  might it not worsen rather than improve health?

Just being a good  contrarian ...

I am just now jumping on this thread. (I wasn't aware it have gone in this
direction).

Health insurance is a necessary evil. It's like car and home owner's
insurance. Although HMO type health insurance is now paying for office visits,  and
even some medicine, the primary reason people need health insurance is for  the
unexpected disasters. An accident, or even minor surgery like an
appendectomy, can cost tens of thousands of dollars. Major surgery or a very bad
accident can go into the high six figures.

Putting money aside might pay for the office visits, or even just a small
claim, but there is no way you can save up enough to pay for a major problem.
That is why working for a school is so great. It not only helps [ay the health
insurance premiums, but you also get sick days, so you can continue getting
paid  while recovering from your illness or accident.

Wim