Moving Knuckle position with the Kaplan Jig

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:45:44 EDT

List

  I thought I'd post an update of this  project.
   Last month I posted about needing to move  knuckles on a few sets of
shanks. All were renner parts for stwys with the  15.5 mm knuckle to center pin
distance. This part is almost always a recipe for  a heavy touch unless extremely
light hammers are used or prepped.
   The jig I used is made by Roland Kaplan R.T.T. of  San Jose. He was quite
generous & loaned it to me for experimentation &  to copy if I wish. I do.
   This simple jig is very accurate & very quick  Making both economical to
do in terms of time & dollars. I spent 10 minutes  setting it up & getting
familiar with the function. After cutting   a few dozen myself I turned it over to
My bright & ever capable 17 yr.  old son Jacob. Kinda proud
   He took a complete set of shanks & removed  all the knuckles on the
bandsaw . Time 25 minutes. Then he wnet straight to  the jig. Time to cut all the
slots & in one pass , 20 minutes.
  Then he glued in the new parts in about 40  minutes. Total time About 1 &
1/2 hr.. Tokiwa knuckles are $125.00 &  Renners are $145.00 Plus Jacob's time
   Once the jig is set up the craftsmen made blade I  used cut a perfectly
fit slot for both Tokiwa & Renner knuckles.  It only tore out a small corner of
the original rosewood molding. A  slower movement eliminated this.
  Safety:
    I added some small safety rails to prevent  any Exposure of the operator
to the blade. I'm going to copy  the jig & make only minor modifications.
   I realize this is a job one doesn't do very  often But considering the
cost of parts at about $400ish plus the hammers &  prep, etc., it can save the
client a ton & you can be the  hero.  If the hammers that came on the shanks
with wrong  dimensioned knuckle placement are worth reusing the jig allows for
that  option as well which really save the cost of half an  action rebuild.

  How many of us would be interested in a jig like this?  Let me know. What
would it be worth to purchase a premade jig from Spurlock or  Farrel or anyone
willing to make it.? Just curious
  Cheers
   Dale Erwin