Moving Knuckle position with the Kaplan Jig

vince mrykalo madvinmryk@yahoo.com
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:31:16 -0700 (PDT)

I would, however, did you say why you moved the knuckles rather than the capstans?

Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:    List

  I thought I'd post an update of this project.
   Last month I posted about needing to move knuckles on a few sets of shanks. All were renner parts for stwys with the 15.5 mm knuckle to center pin distance. This part is almost always a recipe for a heavy touch unless extremely light hammers are used or prepped.
   The jig I used is made by Roland Kaplan R.T.T. of San Jose. He was quite generous & loaned it to me for experimentation & to copy if I wish. I do.
   This simple jig is very accurate & very quick Making both economical to do in terms of time & dollars. I spent 10 minutes setting it up & getting familiar with the function. After cutting  a few dozen myself I turned it over to My bright & ever capable 17 yr. old son Jacob. Kinda proud
   He took a complete set of shanks & removed all the knuckles on the bandsaw . Time 25 minutes. Then he wnet straight to the jig. Time to cut all the slots & in one pass , 20 minutes.
  Then he glued in the new parts in about 40 minutes. Total time About 1 & 1/2 hr.. Tokiwa knuckles are $125.00 & Renners are $145.00 Plus Jacob's time
   Once the jig is set up the craftsmen made blade I used cut a perfectly fit slot for both Tokiwa & Renner knuckles. It only tore out a small corner of the original rosewood molding. A slower movement eliminated this.
  Safety:
    I added some small safety rails to prevent any Exposure of the operator to the blade. I'm going to copy the jig & make only minor modifications.
   I realize this is a job one doesn't do very often But considering the cost of parts at about $400ish plus the hammers & prep, etc., it can save the client a ton & you can be the hero.  If the hammers that came on the shanks with wrong dimensioned knuckle placement are worth reusing the jig allows for that option as well which really save the cost of half an action rebuild.

  How many of us would be interested in a jig like this? Let me know. What would it be worth to purchase a premade jig from Spurlock or Farrel or anyone willing to make it.? Just curious
  Cheers
   Dale Erwin

Vince Mrykalo
University of Utah