Verdigris

Tim Coates tcoates1@sio.midco.net
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:19:17 -0500

Dave,

I don't know difference of  bourbon versus whiskey versus everclear
versus vodka.  Maybe someone out there can enlighten me.  I remember
Fred Drasche saying wood grain alcohol (whatever that is).  Maybe my
hearing wasn't so good and he said something different.  He did say
rubbing alcohol definately doesn't work.

At any rate, I used to drink bourbon (because I liked the taste) and
maybe that's why my eyesight has gotten worse.  I know I used to feel
less than alive.  I'm not sure what half dead would be like because I
haven't been dead before (at least to my knowledge). <g>

Tim Coates

On Aug 11, 2004, at 6:37 PM, David M. Porritt wrote:

> --- big snip ---
>
>> Good luck with your experiments.  Oh by the way, Fred indicated that
>> the flange is cleansed/sized and it has to be wood grain alcohol in
>> the
>> form of bourbon to do the job correctly.
>
> Tim:
>
> I hope Wild Turkey doesn't have any wood alcohol (Methanol) as it will
> make you blind first, then dead.
>
> dave
>

>> Tim Coates
>> University of South Dakota
>
>> On Aug 11, 2004, at 9:08 AM, James Ellis wrote:
>
>>> Tim Coates seems to think some of us are being "uppedy".  I disagree.
>>> The
>>> question was about remedies for verdigris, and other than a few jokes
>>> about
>>> Wild Turkey, that's what the answers were about.  Tim also credited
>>> the
>>> "List" with considering 25 years as "permanent".  No, that didn't
>>> come
>>> from
>>> the list, that was my remark when I said I did not consider 25 years
>>> to be
>>> "temporary".
>>>
>>> Other than a few unfortunate jokes, I think the responses came
>>> straight
>>> from the experiences of those who responded.  I know mine did, and I
>>> was
>>> not trying to be "uppedy".  I have had complete success with new
>>> parts,
>>> good success with re-bushing and re-pinning, and very poor success
>>> with
>>> solvents and/or lubricants.  It has come to the place where I will
>>> not
>>> put
>>> any liquid into a bushing that will not completely evaporate - and
>>> that's
>>> why I use pure grain alcohol and distilled water for shrinking.
>>>
>>> I know what Tim is saying, and I raise this question.   Tim, do you
>>> know
>>> for a fact that the problem was really verdigris, and not something