Verdigris

David Denison a440@optonline.net
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:54:56 -0400

Just thought I'd throw another verdigris remedy into the mix of Wild Turkey
and various  elixirs: brake fluid.  I know it sounds crazy and did to me
when I heard a guy mention it a few months back.  He had heard about it from
a nationally renowned PTG member and instructor in our area who will remain
nameless  since this is all hearsay.  I didn't even think to try it until I
started following this latest thread and, coincedentally, I am in the midst
of replacing verdegrised (sp?) Steinway hammers, shanks and wippen flanges.
Well I gave it a try and guess what?  It works!  Flange resistance went from
10+ grams to 2-4 grams. I applied it only to the outside of the shanks and
worked it in side to side and up and down for a few seconds.  Will it last?
That remains to be seen.  I wouldn't reccomend anyone going out there and
using this remedy until it has been thoroughly tested to be safe (what's in
brake fluid?) and effective for the long term.  As has been said, the
bushing cloth and shanks were saturated with whatever Steinway applied which
will probably leech back in at some point.  I will keep the list apprised of
its longevity or lack thereof.  If it works long term at least the techs in
the dry counties may have an alternative to the "evil" spirits!

David Denison, RPT (not too uppity)
Hofstra University
Contractual
Nassau Chapter-Piano Technicians Guild