Verdigris; the verdict

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:07:11 -0600

List,

My original question about a verdigris "cure" has brought about 8 (to my
count) formulas, lots of good comments and a few good laughs. (I'm glad
we don't take ourselves too seriously. I need occasional levity.)
Although I don't know if I've found the definitive "magic bullet" for
verdigris it did yield lots of good discussion and numerous
possibilities. If Tim's Bourbon works for 25+ years wouldn't that be
great!! In this case the majority of you stated what I've always been
told i.e. "replace the parts".

Here's what I've decided to do;

1. I WILL replace parts. It is an S&S "A". Well worth the effort. In a
different circumstance (Client's $$) I will try a juice, knowing that I
may have to return and try a different formula or ultimately replace
parts anyway.

2. I will save the old parts and begin my own series of experiments. It
may yield some interesting results. I will try the different juices and
methods while keeping records of gram resistance. This won't be a "real
life" trial because use/movement is an enormous factor, however, it will
give me a good comparison of formulas. IOW if formulas A & B free it up
and gram resistance remains the same over, say 2 years with the various
temperatures my shop reaches, but formulas C and D freeze up after one
year we can at least be skeptical of C and D for verdigris. (BTW, it is
verdigris) As the years pass I'll keep track and see what happens. I
can't say I'll tell you how they are 25 years from now, but at least the
next few years might help debunk some false notion or "prove" what won't
work.

Thanks for all your input. Now, off to the liquor store, the hardware
store, and a chem. Lab.

Sincerely,
Jim Busby BYU