[CAUT] lacquer

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed, 08 Dec 2004 07:36:08 -0700

    Darn, I thought we were arriving at a "unified theory of hammer felt"
<g>, where the "harder pressed" hammers have the necessary solidity in the
core, but need the shoulders made more flexible, while the "softer pressed"
have the flexibility in the shoulders, but need solidity added to the core.
Not a bad way of looking at it, anyway, just for conceptualizing purposes.
    I guess I'm not too surprised that you aren't finding a real difference
between soaking the entire hammer and trying to focus the lacquer on the
strike and just below, as it would seem that in that case shoulder needling
would have a noticeable effect. And it rarely does (I have found an
exception: high shoulders in mid range where too much lacquer had been
applied does help give more "range of available character," though soaking
it out works better).
    You do say "I chose door number one." Does Ron Coners say he finds a
difference?
    Also, I'm curious about your qualification about use of keytop and
acetone: "(if one has used acetone as a thinner with the lacquer to begin
with)." Do you really find a difference what thinner was used with the
lacquer in this regard?
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico