Boston vertical tuning stability?

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:14:47 EST

In a message dated 1/15/2004 6:55:28 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jminor@uiuc.edu writes:
recently tuned a Boston vertical model 111 and had a difficult challenge
in keeping the tuning where I put it. The piano was close to pitch with
the low tenor being slightly sharp. This section kept creeping sharp even
after multiple passes. The final pass found most notes in the temperament
section to be 2 cents sharp. This is my 3rd tuning on this piano in 2
years and it is only 2 years old.

The home is kept at 57 degrees F during the day and 62 while occupied.
Could this have a negative effect on the tuning stability.

Anyone else struggle with this Boston model?

John Minor
University of Illinois

   Hi John
   I don't know if this is the same model but our Modesto Junior College has
2 different styles of the Boston uprights. My biggest beef is the hammers O
stone and the short sustain time. It seems like there always out of tune but I
suspect the hammers have as much to do with the tuning stability as the
students who practice on them. I do know that when I changed the hammers on a Yamaha
p202 to a Ronsen hammer that the piano sounds way better & the tuning doesn't
suffer as much. Tone is improved dramatically.
   Dale