Bluthner action; "big question"

ed440@mindspring.com ed440@mindspring.com
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:01:34 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Mark-

I think if you do a search on Pianotech, you will find a discussion some years back among people who have rebuilt these pianos, and can ask how they sold.

Of course, any piano will sell for top dollar if you advertise long and wide enough!

Ed S.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Cramer <Cramer@BrandonU.CA>
Sent: Jan 15, 2004 10:31 AM
To: College and University Technicians <caut@ptg.org>
Subject: RE: Bluthner action; "big question"

Whats the general type question here ?

RicB

In spare time I rebuild grands for resale. I'm typically looking for
instruments (not necessarily big name brands) of good original quality, in
the 6' to 7' range that require total restoration.

As possible, I attempt to process every instrument the same; hand-rubbed,
satin-ebony finish, all appearance details restored to appear new, and full
renovation of the instrument to perform as new.

The idea being; if a client likes an instrument that's already sold, the
next one will have a predictably similiar appeal.

I know we all have different philosophies on restoration... this is mine,
and I'm very proud of the resulting instruments.

The question, crass as it may seem, is whether I can gain full return on a
major restoration of a two-pedal piano with an historic action?

Those of you who have a "handle" on resale of restorations can probably tell
me;

"in your market would this instrument complete, trade similar to a likewise
restored Mason or Knabe?"

On the other hand, I really like the modern Bluthners (80's?) we have at
Banff. My intent, if it were practical, was simply to do a full
action-replacement (along with full belly-work), such that I wasn't
handicapping resale potential of the instrument.

So there you have it:

1. If the piano could be resold for top value, I'm willing to look at the
authentic/historic route.

2. If it could easily be modernized (new stack over existing keys/frame for
instance) I would
have to look at that... (and deal with your consternation later). :>)

3. If neither of the above are true, then I guess I should just buy it and
Fed-ex it down to Ed.

As colleagues, you are always most helpful, and I trust your opinions. Now,
like on the price is right, "do I bid or pass?!"

thanks,

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University