dilemma

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:51:50 -0700

Good point Margaret.

My Uncle (a great, old technician) had the same situation but he was the
"knight in shining armor" called to fix the piano. After examining the
piano and finding nothing wrong he cleaned and shined it up, then
invited them all to play it. "Oh, it sounds great! Much improved!..."
then he announced that he did nothing to it and shame on them for not
trusting their tech! Mind games x 2! He loved doing that kind of thing.
He made it a point not to undermine other techs, unless they deserved
it...

Jim Busby
BYU

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of C.
E. Hood
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 9:22 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Re: dilemma

I think colleges often like to think some outside consultant is better
than anybody local could be.  I'd say, ride it out - esp since you know
the person, just assume a confident superior tone, assume you will think
alike, and work together with him - his "authority' will probably rub
off on you in their mind.  To object or quibble will be taken as
whimpering and a sign of lack of confidence. (women techs get put in
this position all the time)  Then later you can assume a kindly "I told
you so" air, be polite but not ingratiating, and come out as well as
possible.  Mind games.
     Margaret Hood