Capo bar revisited

Don McKechnie dmckech@ithaca.edu
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:15:03 -0800

List,

In the January issue of the PTG Journal there is a O& A discussion
regarding the capo bar. On page 20 there is a response from me regarding
the capo/fret file that Bill Spurlock used to sell. I mentioned that the
file is still available from Stewart-MacDonald. That is not the case.
When I called the company the first time, I was told the file is still
available. Since I wanted another one with the 150 grit, I placed an
order. When I received the file, it was not the same file as the one
Bill sold. (The file on the left of the photo - page 20 - is the one
Bill sold) When I called Stewart-MacDonald about this problem I found
someone more knowledgeable about their inventory. The type of file that
Bill used to sell has been discontinued for some time.

The problem with the similar files involves the radius. It is too narrow
in my opinion for capos or duplex bearing bars. This includes all the
catalog numbers that Lance Lafargue mentioned in the next response on
page 20. Stewart-MacDonald does have a different file that holds some
promise for capo filing. Their "Dual Grit Diamond File," catalog number
4456 should work well. I have since ordered this file but I have not had
the opportunity to try it out. You can have a look at this file at the
following link:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Fretting_tools:_Fret_dressing,_polishing/3/Diamond_Fret_Files.html

When I gave permission to use my response on this topic I had requested
the above explanation be added. I do not have an answer as to why it was
cut. Please accept my apology if anyone has ordered the above mentioned
files and found then unsatisfactory as well.

Don McKechnie