concert service Q & A

Tue, 04 May 2004 22:20:02 +0200

Mark Cramer wrote:

>Question:
>
>I'm having trouble with key-frame shift-pins; noise/friction from the
>bass-side in particular............
>
>....mild scraping sound has returned. When I remove the block, I'm afraid I'll
>see the fine tell-tale abrassion marks again
>
>Any long-term solutions?

You can always bush with cloth.. but it wears out fairly quickly...
replacing guides and pins helps too ... but the problem will eventually
return.

>Replace the shift pin(s)?

I'd replace the whole system with the new version. I suppose you still
have the older brass guides in the cheek blocks ?

I had this same problem on a C here at the UiB and when I put in the new
roller type guides the problem went away for ever. I suppose they will
need a bit of grease from time to time but I cant see any of that
scraping sound ever coming back.  Available from Steinway Hamburg...
dont know about NY.